Our smile always speaks for us, and for that reason, we want to maintain it clean and shiny. However, sometimes the care we give to our teeth, like brushing and flossing three times per day, does not help avoid yellow teeth and get yellow teeth white again. We know that this could be frustrating because even though you maintain a strict oral hygiene ritual, your teeth are not as white as you want them to be.
Nevertheless, what makes teeth turn yellow? Discoloration comes through many factors.
- Smoking cigarettes: nicotine, over time, leaves residue between the teeth and affects their color.
- Enamel thinning: Over time, teeth become yellow from the wear and tear of the enamel. This happens to all of us at some point in our lives, but it will happen sooner if you do not give your teeth the proper care.
- A nutrient-poor diet: eating processed foods with high levels of acids and sugar.
- Use of antibiotics: Tetracycline has as a side effect the deterioration of the dental enamel.
- Genetic factors: your genes influence the coloring of your teeth.
- Bad dental hygiene habits: if you do not brush or floss your teeth, you should know that your teeth could turn yellow.
If you want to get yellow teeth white again and recover your natural appearance, here are some tips:
- Take care of your diet: You must follow a complete diet full of vitamins and minerals. Besides, always stay hydrated and increase your consumption of fruits and vegetables. Foods like carrots and apples are natural cleaners for your teeth.
- Reduce foods and drinks that can stain your teeth: Coffee, tea, wine, and cola are the worst stains on your teeth. Minimize their consumption and, if possible, eliminate them from your diet.
- Whiteners: Some dental products help maintain your teeth, such as whitening toothpaste, whitening strips, gels, etc. It is always good to use them in your dental care routine.
- Brush regularly and use mouthwash and dental floss: The next time you buy toothpaste, make sure it contains fluoride and is alcohol-free. Alcohol affects the enamel of the teeth. You must maintain good dental hygiene to avoid bacteria, tartar, or any other type of dirt on the root.
- Change your toothbrush regularly: Toothbrushes should be changed at least every three months. After frequent use, the bristles lose their functionality and no longer clean the tooth surface properly.
- Brush and floss properly. You should spend at least 3 minutes brushing your teeth and do it with circular and lateral movements to reach all the spaces in your mouth. Do not put too much pressure on your teeth as this can damage the enamel and gums. To remove food debris between your teeth, floss it regularly. This will also help improve your breath.
- Visit your dentist at least once a year: Dentists evaluate your dental health and perform a cleaning to remove accumulated tartar.
Applying these tips will get you on your way to get yellow teeth white again. These steps are strict oral routine steps that are easy to maintain and follow. You can also try your hand at some other natural tips to whiten teeth naturally. Want to know more about further options to whiten your teeth? Click here to find out!